Thursday, May 17, 2012

When We are Weak…..

Today in our sessions we will be concluding our study of 2 Corinthians: Biblical Leadership in the Church. We are at the point in the letter when Paul addresses the false teachers and finds he must boast. However, Paul, like his Saviour, turns boasting upside down. After expressing the character of Godly ministry (10.1-11) and setting the parameters for boasting (10.12-18), Paul presents his reason for boasting. Interestingly, the reason he gives is his love for them and the gospel (11.1-15). Now Paul is reluctantly ready to boast. However, unlike false teachers, he will not boast in his strength. Rather, boasting takes a surprising turn as he boasts of his weaknesses, struggles, and even failures (11.16-30). But Paul, ever the pastor, prepares the people to boast the same way as he reminds them of the glory (12.1-6) and the power of God (12.7-10). If Paul is going to boast, it will only be to show the glory of God: "for when I am weak, then I am strong."

The class will begin at 9 but end at 11 for a few hours. Apparently with an upcoming election, a local politician would like to meet with all the pastors. Classes will continue later in the afternoon. That is all I know as I am on a "need-to-know" basis, and on top of that, my grasp of the Mongolian language is rather weak.

Tomorrow I will be beginning a session on Marriage Counseling. Since this is a topic of interest to many, we are expecting more students to come. Sunday I will have an opportunity to preach in a local church and have lunch with a family who serves in BYG. I am thankful for your prayers, especially as I seek to communicate the teaching through an interpreter. Please pray for my stomach as well. The food here is very heavy and sometimes doesn't agree with me. It is good for me to be reminded of 2 Corinthians 12:10: "For when I am weak, then I am strong."

No comments: