Monday, September 18, 2006

Bring The Cloak Please

In 1 Timothy 4:13 we read Paul giving instruction to Timothy When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, and my scrolls, especially the parchments. I have often heard this passage used as a reminder that Paul, even though he was an apostle and late in his life, wanted to learn and grow spiritually. Good point.

But when I read this passage again, my mind turned to the coat. It would appear that Paul not only desired to learn but at the end of his life he did not have a cloak. He needed his one cloak brought to him. OK, he may already have had a cloak but he needed another one to keep him warm. The point is that at the end of his life, ministry had cost him everything - he was in prison, no possessions, not even enough clothing to keep him warm.

So - we need a life that is balanced - bring me the parchments - and please, bring me my cloak. What a great example as we read that Paul lived out Jesus' words in Matthew 6: Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

A good reminder to live our lives so that at the end of our lives we ask for our parchments and a cloak.

No comments: