Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Battling Sin

Sometimes when we read the Psalms which deal with "enemies" and "bloodthirsty men" we wonder how we can relate. As far as I know, I am not on anyone's hit list - at least not yet. So what do we do?

Recently, I read Psalm 59:

To the choirmaster: according to Do Not Destroy. A Miktam of David, when Saul sent men to watch his house in order to kill him. Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; protect me from those who rise up against me; (2) deliver me from those who work evil, and save me from bloodthirsty men. (3) For behold, they lie in wait for my life; fierce men stir up strife against me. For no transgression or sin of mine, O LORD, (4) for no fault of mine, they run and make ready. Awake, come to meet me, and see! (5) You, LORD God of hosts, are God of Israel. Rouse yourself to punish all the nations; spare none of those who treacherously plot evil. Selah (6) Each evening they come back, howling like dogs and prowling about the city. (7) There they are, bellowing with their mouths with swords in their lips-- for "Who," they think, "will hear us?" (8) But you, O LORD, laugh at them; you hold all the nations in derision. (9) O my Strength, I will watch for you, for you, O God, are my fortress. (10) My God in his steadfast love will meet me; God will let me look in triumph on my enemies. (11) Kill them not, lest my people forget; make them totter by your power and bring them down, O Lord, our shield! (12) For the sin of their mouths, the words of their lips, let them be trapped in their pride. For the cursing and lies that they utter, (13) consume them in wrath; consume them till they are no more, that they may know that God rules over Jacob to the ends of the earth. Selah (14) Each evening they come back, howling like dogs and prowling about the city. (15) They wander about for food and growl if they do not get their fill. (16) But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress. (17) O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love.

I began to think - who is attacking me? Who are my enemies? Well, my own heart can be my enemy, Satan and attacks from the world. These are my enemies. They would rise up against me and I need to be delivered. And so I started to pray Psalm 59 asking the same God as King David served to Awake, come to meet me and see.

I noticed a few things including an awareness that I was in a battle and also God is more powerful than my enemies. There are enemies that would seek to destroy our testimony and our salvation but when we cry to God, the One who laughs at the rebellious nations, we may rest in Him as he is our fortress, the God who shows [us] unfailing love.

Take the Psalms which talk about your enemies and begin to pray against your sins, your own battles of the heart and the attacks of Satan and his legions. God will grant you the desire of your heart as you battle.

1 comment:

SAF said...

Dave,

My roommate Paul and I were talking about this very thing today. The two of us are going through the Psalms at the same pace therefore allowing us to discuss what we've read on occasion. Today we were on Psalm 140 and Paul wondered about the enemies in his life and said that he doesn't have any, but went on to say that his enemies are spiritual and always at war with him. After talking with Paul about this we realized that Psalm 140 and 59 for that matter are not Psalms that we can't relate to but ones that will guide us through the battles that all believers encounter and to whom we seek our refuge from.

Steve