Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Christians As Icebergs

What do you mean "Christians as icebergs"? Sounds harsh doesn't it? Do you mean that they are usually cold and unwelcoming? Well, no. Generally I have found believers in Jesus to be the exact opposite - warm and welcoming.

However, I have heard that when you see an iceberg you are really only see 10% while the remaining 90% is submerged from view. It is only when you come closer do you realize what lies underneath.

I expressed to the people at church recently that when I look out from the pulpit, I view them as icebergs - what I see is the 10%, with another 90% underneath. This is not a paranoid pastor speaking, nor is it trying to find issues when there are none to be found. Instead, it is to be honest with the circumstances of life. We are taught to wear a happy face as worship for worship is really only for those ready to praise God and give their all to Him. But what about those found in Psalm 55.1-5: Listen to my prayer O God, do not ignore my plea; hear me and answer me. My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught ... my heart is in anguish within me ... fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed. me.?

That is the hidden 90% the "iceberg" brings into the church as she quietly sits in the back row - trapped in a sin, filled with guilt and desperate. However, recognizing the hidden spiritual struggles allows us to minister God's powerful, personal Word AND deal honestly with people's lives - the 90%. It is here we will see God revealed in the Psalm and conclude God is the only place to cast all our cares. Suddenly the 90% finds hope.

How do you view those coming into church? How do we get past the superficial? How about beginning to view believers as icebergs - it will impact preaching for the pastor and fellowship for all, creating a deeper level of true ministry.


Anonymous said...

Thanks David...have been appreciating your recent posts! —janice

Jeff said...

I have found that if you truly are preaching the word that the word will deal with the other 90% you don't see and you don't even realize it most of the time.

Anonymous said...

It really is easy to live in that 10% and not let anybody see the 90% - thank you for the reminder - JD

Anonymous said...

Very well put. I wish this comment space would allow me to tell you the story of how God has spoken to yet again, but it does not.

Thank you