Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Dr. Geoff Adams In Glory

Today I attended the funeral of Dr. Geoff Adams at Toronto Baptist Seminary. As I reflect on the events, a number of thoughts come to mind.

First, his son Doug gave an account of the faithful testimony of a father who lived Christ in front of his children. He was a man of God publicly and privately. Doug went on to tell how he observed his father's communion with Jesus through prayer and Scripture reading. As I reflect on my life, I call to God for mercy. How I need to show my children that walking with Christ is not only serving Him in the church but it is also those private moments of communing with God - an enjoyment of God's presence. I pray that God will grant me a greater desire and discipline in the coming days to grow deeper in my communion with Him.

Second, how in his long service as pastor, principal of the seminary, counselor, friend, husband, father and many other roles, he served faithfully. One passage which was read was 2 Timothy 4:7: I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. This may sound strange but the funeral was a tremendous encouragement for me to live alone for Christ. It is so easy to fall into temptation or to become sidetracked with secondary issues. Am I living faithfully, striving to fight, finish and keep the faith? I pray that at the end of my life, I will have lived faithfully. Dr. Adams' life and death have encouraged me to finish well - may God be gracious!

Thirdly, the joy of the gospel of Jesus. Our brother is in Glory! The light of Christ shone as time and time again God's grace and glory were magnified in the life of a forgiven sinner and his faithful service. Dr. Adams is now in glory, experiencing unimaginable fellowship and joy in the presence of His Saviour and Friend. What a joy to hear of God's grace - a lost sinner, rebellious and wicked in his heart now, because of the love and faithfulness of Christ, in glory. Praise God for the saints who have gone before us. How we need to hear and see of more men and women who are living faithfully and passionately for God in our watered down, lethargic Christian culture.

My prayer is that the events of this day will not soon leave my heart and mind and when moments of temptation or distraction come, I will seek to live alone for God's glory and be conformed to His image. I pray that for my family, His church at Grace Bible and God's people. May God be gracious.

2 comments:

Julian Freeman said...

Pastor Robinson, I was greatly encouraged by the service as well. Your third point about the joy of the gospel was particularly encouraging to me. Pastor Thompson's message of victory was great! We will all die, but only those in Christ will find that death has no victory over them: that life and infinite joy awaits! What a great gospel!

Julian said...

I found the service terrible. The glory of God was stolen because so much glory was given to a man.